It's the night where North American and Northern European children (and some grown-ups!) enjoy dressing up as someone else for the night. Parents will take their small costumed children from house-to-house to collect candies and treats. (This Wikipedia entry offers more on the history, meaning, and locations where the holiday is celebrated.)
Multicultural schools provide a location where children are exposed to the holidays and traditions of their friends from other cultures. What holidays from your host culture(s) or other cultures are now a part of your family's repertoire? Which of them have you passed to your children?
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Halloween is not a holiday for which I have a lot of memories - except that Mom had to make our costumes - so we never knew what we were going to "be".
I think my favorite holiday was Christmas - cuz we never knew how Santa would arrive there in the tropics. One time he flew over the school - and then fell out and crashed through the roof of the print shop (he survived - obviously), another time he arrived on motorbike - with Mrs. Claus riding behind him!
While I cannot pass on those kinds of memories to my family, I can still delight in telling the stories!
M
My parents carried traditions like Halloween with us from country to country in an effort to give us pieces of a "normal" American childhood. I remember Halloween costume contests at the Ambassador's residence. That just seemed entirely normal to me as a kid.
We did pick up a few other holidays along the way. To this day, for instance, we still celebrate St. Nicholas' Day on December 6.
Post a Comment